*****Please read all the way through or #20 will make me look CRAZY****
Social media is a blessing and a curse. It is something we love and something we hate! It is a tool that makes our lives fun and can cause headaches.
I think the biggest thing we get frustrated with regarding social media, as parents, is the perfection most people portray. When we pull up Facebook we see happy children, clean houses, beautiful vacations, and two years old learning to speak Chinese as their third language. Essentially we are looking at our “friends” highlight reels, but never see their behind the scenes.
Today I want to list some of the things I fail at as a father. I’ll admit I’m not perfect, but I try my hardest and I am sure all of you do too! So, here are some of my shortcomings:
1) I have yelled at my children and sometimes I do believe they deserve it (I don’t belittle them…just enough to get their attention)
2) My kids eat McDonalds
3) They watch television and play the iPad
4) I have cursed in front of them
5) There have been times when I ignored them while watching sports
6) There have been times I ignored them while trolling Facebook (not proud about this)
7) I come home from work in bad moods sometimes (not very often, but sometimes)
8) I am probably more lenient with my daughter than my sons (aka:playing favorites)
9) My two year old and five year old have drank Coke before…not the baby (we aren’t from West Virgina)
10) Sometimes I get annoyed by my children
11) I have fallen asleep at 8:00 because I am physically exhausted from work and parenting
12) My son knows the lyrics to “I’m Sexy and I Know It” and he doesn’t even work out
13) All of my children hate vegetables and rarely eat them
14) I am like a kid in a candy store when the kids have early bed time
15) My oldest son (only 5) has probably seen too many super hero movies with violence
16) Succeeding at work is important enough to me that sometimes it interferes at home
17) Sometimes I’m selfish
18) The house isn’t always clean
19) I don’t have enough money to say yes to every request from the kids
20) I peed on my oldest son’s head….
Ok…let me explain #20. My son had just started crawling and I was in the bathroom taking a pee. Out of no where I looked down and he had pulled himself up on the toilet. Then I saw he was about to try to put his hand in the stream of pee. As I was trying to stop him…my aim was off and I peed on his head. Not one of my best moments, but it can happen.