Happy Valentine’s Day!!!
Valentine’s Day is a great day. It is a day to show your love, to be romantic, and have fun. Well…that’s what it used to be like when I was dating my wife and when we first got married, but as a parent it is much different.
As I was thinking about our Valentine’s Days over the past five years they are much different than 10 years ago when we first started dating. Actually, as we add more kids each Valentine’s Day becomes less and less like it used to be.
I would love to tell you that I am going to surprise my wife with a couples massage, followed by a romantic dinner, and then off to a gorgeous hotel suite. Unfortunately that’s just not going to happen.
With no further adieu here are 10 Ways You Know You Are a Parent on Valentine’s Day.
1) You spend three hours helping your kids create a Valentine’s Day Box, address cards, and make difficult decisions on which kids in the class should get the different cards and candy hearts.
2) You didn’t even realize it was Valentine’s Day until your spouse handed you a card.
3) You planned a romantic dinner for you and your spouse, but you only have an hour because you have to be back to feed the baby. So you run to Chipotle and enjoy the peace and quiet.
4) If you got your spouse a card, there is no special note. It’s just signed Love..(Insert Name). You let a generic card that 1,000s of other spouses received do all the talking!
5) The kids devoured all of the chocolate while you were cleaning.
6) Instead of catching a movie, you stayed in to watch taped reality shows (like the Bachelor) or fire up Netflix.
7) You spend more time thinking about what to get your kids than your spouse. And you spend more money on them.
8) Instead of going to bed “together” one of you falls asleep on the couch by 8:30.
9) When you go to kiss your wife, the little boys think it is time to save mom and you suddenly find yourself in a wrestling match.
10) You wouldn’t trade any Valentine Days with your kids for of the ones before them!
What did I forget? If you enjoyed the post, please share or like!