Here are 10 things you should never do as a dad. These don’t only embarrass your kids…they also embarrass yourself:
1) Wear cut off jean shorts. Nothing shows you are more out of touch with with the world than cut off jean shorts. Especially if the pockets are hanging below the cut! These are not even acceptable when mowing the lawn!
2) Show up to your kids sporting event intoxicated. Nothing good will ever come from this except pure awkward entertainment for the other parents.
3) Don’t walk around the house in your boxers (or worst – tighty whiteys) when your kids friends are over. Maybe your father did, but today there is Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram – so you will end up hash tagged and trending on all of the social media outlets.
4) Refrain from Twitter or Facebook wars. If you feel the need to confront someone, don’t do it online because 1) it is writing and 2) whatever you say is in view of a public audience.
5) Refrain from talking like you are texting someone. Never let these abbreviations come out of your mouth LOL, YOLO, BFF, or OMG. If you are alone say this sentence out loud, “OMG…my BFF just called and he is going cliff diving. One word YOLO.” Not cool, right?
6) Even if you are an avid cycler, try to avoid the spandex outfit in front of your children’s friends. Actually…most of us should avoid a spandex outfit in front of anyone! (again someone will snap a photo of you)
7) Never wear a shirt with the word #SWAG. I don’t think this needs an explanation.
8) Although we enjoyed Tupac, Biggie Smalls, and P Ditty; that does not mean we should still be blaring that when are driving through the neighborhood. Just do what I do – wait until you are on the highway…crank it up…and lay back.
9) Don’t put the “moves” on your wife when your kids friends are around. This makes for awkward conversations for your child and yourself. Nothing is worse than going to a friends house and hearing the parents kiss, giggle, and grope.
10) Tell bad jokes. Telling a joke to kids probably won’t go over well and may be very embarrassing.